DEADLINE: Midnight on February 28
We are very pleased to open calls for artists for our Community Supported Art (CSA) program, an exciting subscription series that supports local artists in the creation of new work and establishes new relationships with local patrons. We are also excited to announce a new addition to the 2014/2015 CSA Program: The Theatrical Design Pool.
Based on the Community Supported Agriculture model, our CSA series allows patrons to support local artists by purchasing a ‘share’ and in turn receive access to fresh, new works of art. Over the course of the next few months, we will select up to eight performing artists of any genre (including theater, dance, music, spoken word, performance art, etc.) through a competitive application process. Additionally, we will choose up to eight theatrical design applicants (of any discipline, including scenic, lighting, sound, projection, and costume design) to participate in a theatrical design pool for exclusive paid positions and collaboration with CSA Performing Artists.
Call for Proposals
The New Hazlett Theater invites emerging and mid-career performing artists and theatrical designers from the Western Pennsylvania region to submit proposals for inclusion in the upcoming CSA performance series. We are interested in proposals for performances of new work or work that is currently in development.
Design Pool applications will focus on the merit of an existing body of work.
This project is designed for emerging and mid-career artists in pursuit of professional performance opportunities. Applicants must be actively engaged in the process of creating new work and be able to provide examples of original work performed within the last 2 years.
- Artists working on the project must reside in the Western Pennsylvania counties of Allegheny, Armstrong, Beaver, Butler, Fayette, Greene, Indiana, Lawrence, Washington, or Westmoreland and have intentions of remaining in the area.
- Artists with commercial representation or label affiliation are not eligible to apply. • Applicants must be 18 years of age or older.
- Applicants will not be ruled ineligible if they are enrolled in a post-secondary education program; however, participation in the program will require specific time commitments, which should be considered when applying.
- Only proposals submitted through the online form will be reviewed. • Proposals for performance work should be in the range of 45-60 minutes. Proposals for 20-30 minute works will be accepted but may be paired with other to create a full evening-length performance. Please do not submit multiple short works on the same application.
- Applications will be accepted from all performing arts disciplines beginning on 1/15/14. Applications are due via the online form by midnight on 2/28/14.
- All applications must adhere to the work sample guidelines found on page 5.
Selectedperformance artist applicants will receive
- A $2,000 stipend (paid one month prior to the performance date)
- One main stage performance date
- Rehearsal dates on the main stage prior to the performance day
- Two theater technicians (deck hand, lighting or sound operator, etc.)
- Access to the rehearsal hall during agreed upon times in the month prior to your dates
- Professional documentation of your performance (still photography and raw video footage)
Selectedtechnical theater applicants will receive
- Listing in the preferred designer network, from which CSA performance artists can hire for design services with funds allocated for exclusive use within the network
- Promotion throughout the New Hazlett network
- Opportunities to grow relationship with emerging professional artists
For more information about the application process please contact Bill Rodgers at firstname.lastname@example.org.